Friday, September 12, 2008

Craziness at the pump



Last night, after we left Open House at K's school (which went very well, as expected), we stopped at the gas station and there were cars lined up four cars deep at each pump. Apparently everyone got the message that gas prices were expected to soar at midnight. So we got in line. We were the third vehicle in line going one direction and there was another car going the opposite direction. The car filling up finishes and the two cars in front of us waiting pull forward at the same time. They meet in the middle and neither can make the pump reach their respective tanks. So the car with the teenagers (the one going the wrong direction in the first place) backs up and makes room for the oversized truck, but the girl from the car gets out and waits by the pump, as to stake her place in line. We are still waiting. Approximately 10 minutes have passed since we first arrived and the truck is finished filling up and I need to pull forward to make room for another oversized farm truck to get out without hitting my car. As I begin to pull forward the teenage girl jumps in front of my BIG SUV and throws her arms out. Can you believe this? I'm not even close to pulling up to the pump, nor did I have any intentions of doing so...I'm fair when it comes to waiting in lines and believe everyone should receive service on a first-come-first-serve basis. I proceed to roll my window down to tell the girl to move because I'm about to get hit and she lets me know that she has been waiting for over an hour. I would have liked to have said more, but I bit my tongue and got out of the way of the huge truck. I thought gas station drama like this only happened in big cities, but I was wrong...it also happens right here in rural, small town Tennessee. I think next time I'll just pay the extra $$ per gallon and go the next day. Ridiculous.

The pictures are from the gas station where we waited. Most of the cars are going the opposite direction and are lined up on the highway shoulder. A couple of stations in town ran out of gas and one raised prices to $4.79/gallon ($1.10 more per gallon than all other stations). I wish I had taken a picture of the girl with her arms out (and her boyfriend who was about to blow the place up as he smoked his cigarette near the pump), but you can see her sitting by the pump waiting her turn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. so crazy.

and this doesn't happen in big cities b/c no one drives if they can help it. everything is walking distance, or easy to reach by taking a bus or train. I'm so going to miss public transportation once I'm back in the south.

did you hear that Misti is expecting??? I'm so excited!

heart,
B.

Anonymous said...

you mentioned small town tennessee...how small-town? because my husband's hometown was so small he usually just named the county. and by the way, we so have that tennessee cheerleader outfit for our oldest and she wore it for two halloweens and a few gamedays.