Monday, September 1, 2008

The ankle bracelet


This summer while attending Bible School at our church, K. made an ankle bracelet. She wore it for a couple of days, but it broke after a full day of swimming. To say the least, she was upset. I tried to re-string it to no avail. She talked about wanting another one, but I wasn't sure about what beads went where and we lost a few to the pool.
So, a couple of weeks ago her Sunday School teacher (who was also the VBS art teacher) had the supplies and made her another one. She was so excited; she'd have her bracelet for the first day of school. K. has worn it every day and has refused to take it off, even when dressing for ballet and having to wear tights, which can be difficult with a chunky bracelet on your ankle.

The other night I suggested we take it off and she looked at me very seriously and said, "please no." I asked her why that bracelet meant so much to her and she proceeded to tell me that when she wears it she is reminded that Jesus loves her and that He helped others and He wants her to help others, too. I sat there with tears in my eyes and my mouth open. I had no idea that she had made any sort of connection with her bracelet, I thought it was a fashion statement. Do I even have to tell you how this made me feel? K. is so special and to know that she wants to live for God and show others his love at age 5...well, what more could a mother ask for?
By the way, she'll be wearing that bracelet for as long as she likes. I'll even add length to it as needed. :-)

No comments: